A Free Trial of Star Phonics is available at starphonicstrial.renaissance.com/registration. This version can only be used for 90 days; after that time period, you need to purchase Star Phonics Premium.
The Free Trial differs from Star Phonics Premium in the following ways:
- The URL for the Free Trial is starphonicstrial.renaissance.com instead of starphonics.renaissance.com.
- The Free Trial may only be used for 90 days.
- It is only for individual teachers, not whole schools or districts (school-level and district-level data is not available).
- Data is not kept after 90 days and is not transferable to Star Phonics Premium.
- Reports are only available at the class and student levels, not the grade level.
- Alignment to phonics scope and sequence is limited.
- Rostering is not supported; students must be added manually.
After you sign up for the Free Trial and log in, you need to select Classroom Setup at the top of the page to set up your information before using the software. Once you do this, you'll see three steps: 1) Add/Edit Students, 2) Choose Curriculum, and 3) Set Assessment Windows.
- Select Add/Edit Students to add your students to the Free Trial.
- Select Add Student.
- Enter the student's information; then, select Add.
- Added students are listed, along with their grade level and status. To change a student's information or status (active or inactive), select the edit icon.
- Select Choose Curriculum on the Classroom Setup page, or choose 2. Choose Curriculum at the bottom of the Students page after adding students.
- Select the Choose Curriculum drop-down list and select a curriculum.
Set Assessment Windows
- Select Set Assessment Windows on the Classroom Setup page, or select 3. Set Assessment Windows at the bottom of the page where you chose your curriculum.
- Three default windows are automatically set: Beginning of Year (BOY) from August 1 to December 31, Middle of Year (MOY) from January 1 to March 31, and End of Year (EOY) from April 1 to June 30. To edit any of these windows, select the edit icon; then, edit the name, start date, and/or end date as needed and select Update.
- When you're done reviewing the assessment windows, select Done.
Once you've completed the Classroom Setup, you can begin administering Star Phonics assessments.