The Star State Performance - Student Report graphs a student's pathway to proficiency on the state summative test.
How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Reading, Star Early Literacy, or Star Math.
- In the drop down-list, select Reports.
- On the Star / Assessment tab on the Reports page, under “State Performance and Mastery,” select Star State Performance - Student Report.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
District Level Administrators, District Dashboard Owners, District Staff, School Level Administrators, School Staff, Teachers
- Use the Subject and Assessment Types drop-down lists to choose the assessment types to include in the report. The assessment types available will change depending on the subject chosen:
Subject Available Assessment Type Reading Star Reading Enterprise Reading Star Early Literacy Reading Star Reading Progress Monitoring Reading 3rd Grade Reading Proficiency Assessment Reading Spanish Star Reading Spanish Reading Spanish Star Early Literacy Spanish Math Star Math Enterprise Math Star Math Progress Monitoring Math Star Math Algebra Math Star Math Geometry Math Spanish Star Math Spanish. Note: You will not need to select an assessment type; Star Math Spanish is the only assessment type and will automatically be chosen.
- Use the School drop-down list to select a school.
- If you are assigned to only one school, you will not see the School drop-down list.
- School administrators and school staff can only select their own schools.
- Teachers can only select schools that they are assigned to.
- Use the Students drop-down list to select either a single class at the chosen school, or choose All Classes to select all the classes at the chosen school.
- School administrators and school staff can only select classes in their own school.
- Teachers can only select their own classes.
To select specific classes, groups, or students at the chosen school, use the links below the Students drop-down list. Selecting one of these links will open a corresponding pop-up window; in that window, check the box at the top of the list to select all the available choices, or make individual selections below it. You can enter search criteria in the field at the top of the window to find a specific class, group, or student. (In the "Select Students" pop-up window, you can also select a grade to narrow down the list of students.)
- School administrators and school staff can only select classes, groups, or students in their own school.
- Teachers can only select their own classes, their own groups, or students enrolled in one of their own classes.
Once you have made your choices, select Save Selection at the bottom of the pop-up window.
If you want to use demographic data to further refine the data in the report, select Change Demographics...
By default, the "All" option is chosen for Ethnicity, Gender, Language, and Grade Level. To reduce the scope, choose the "Select" option at the top of the appropriate column and then check your selections in that column.In the example above, the user has selected two Languages and three Grade Levels, while leaving Ethnicity and Gender at the default "All" options. Note: The Filter Reports by Ethnicity user permission may be set to prevent the use of ethnicities as a filter.
By default, the "All" option is chosen for Characteristics. To reduce the scope, choose Select Characteristics... and then check each characteristic you want students in the report to have. You must also choose any or all (after "Include students with") to specify whether students with any of the selected characteristics will be included in the report or only those with all of the selected characteristics.
In the example above, the user selected two Characteristics (ADA and ESL). Because any is selected, the report will include students who are ADA, ESL, or both. If all had been selected, only students who are both ADA and ESL would be included. Note: The Filter Reports by Characteristics user permission may be set to prevent the use of characteristics as a filter.
Once you are finished choosing demographic options, select Apply at the bottom of the window to save your choices (or Cancel to close the window without saving your choices).
- Use the Date Range drop-down list to choose the dates you want to generate the report for. You can select an existing marking period, screening window, or you can select Custom... and set your own dates (use the calendars to select a range of dates or type them in the fields using m/d/yyyy format; then select Apply to use the dates you have chosen or Cancel to close this pop-up without saving your selection).
If schools use their own unique date ranges within a district screening window, those ranges will all have the same name. To help you tell them apart, the dates they cover will be added to the end of the name.
- If necessary, use the Scale drop-down list to choose which scale you want to use for the scores on the report.
notes on the scales
- The Star Enterprise scale is only available in Mississippi; however, if the Star Scale Transition Preference is set to Show Unified Scale Only for sites in Mississippi, the Star Enterprise Scale will not be an option in this list.
- To the right of the Scale drop-down list, check Hide Students Without Data if you want students without test data omitted from the report.
- Once you are done choosing report options, select Update Report.
- The report will generate and then open at the bottom of the page.
- For each student, a graph shows the student's test scores during the selected date range, measured against the scale you selected in step 6, along with a line indicating the pathway to proficiency (a legend below the graph defines the pathway and explains what the various elements of the graph represent).
- If the student has taken at least three tests, a trend line is also shown. A trend line is a straight line intersecting a group of data points on a graph; its location and slope are determined through statistical analysis. It indicates whether the student's overall scores are rising, falling, or remaining the same.
- You can change any of the options you have selected and then regenerate the report by selecting Update Report.
- To print the report, select the PDF icon at the top of the screen: .
- To return to the Reports page, select either Back to Reports or the report icon at the top of the screen.