How do I get to this page?
- Log in to Renaissance.
- On the Home page, select Star Spanish; in the drop-down menu, select Manage Goals & Benchmarks.
- On the Goals & Benchmarks page, select Set a Goal.
Who can do this with default user permissions?
- District Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in the district
- School Level Administrators: can work with goals for all students in their own school
- Teachers: can work with goals for their own students
Goals are set at the individual student level. When you set a Unified Scaled Score goal for Math Spanish, you set a target Scaled Score that you want the student(s) to reach and a time frame for them to achieve that goal.
These instructions are for setting a Scaled Score goal on the Unified Scale (for more information about the scale, see Star Unified Scale). If you are a customer in Mississippi and would prefer to set a goal on the Enterprise scale, see Star Math Spanish - Scaled Score Enterprise.
Scaled Score (SS), Percentile Rank (PR), and Student Growth Percentile (SGP)
Scaled Scores (SS) are calculated based on the difficulty of questions in a student's test and the number of correct responses. They can be used to compare student performance over time and across grade levels. This goal is for the Unified Scale, where Star Math Spanish Scaled Scores range from 1–1400.
Percentile Ranks (PR) is a norm-referenced score that indicates the percentage of other students nationally who obtained scores equal to or lower than the score of a particular student. Percentile Rank scores range from 1–99.
Student Growth Percentile (SGP) compares a student's growth to that of his or her academic peers nationwide. Lower numbers indicate lower relative growth, and higher numbers indicate higher relative growth. SGP scores range from 1–99.
- On the Set a Goal page, use the School , Class , and Students drop-down lists to choose which students to set the goal for.
- You can only choose a single school or class at a time; if you only have access to a single school or class, you will not need to make a selection.
- For students, you can use the Select All / Clear All link at the bottom of the drop-down list to check or uncheck all the students at once.
- In the "Type of goal" section , use the drop-down lists and select Math Spanish for the goal category and Scaled Score Unified for the goal type.
- After you make those selections, the "Set goal options" section of the page will open. Select the Goal start and end dates drop-down list and choose the marking period during which the students should be working towards this goal (the dates for the marking periods are also shown next to their names).
If you choose a marking period, the goal time period will be tied to that marking period; if changes are made to the marking period, the goal time period will change with it.
- Enter a name for the goal or intervention .
- Star Reading Math Enterprise tests are the only student activities that apply towards achieving the goal , so you do not have to select it.
Initially, you will set a single goal level for all the selected students (but you will be able to change individual student goals later if you wish). Select one of the levels presented here: Moderate (50 SGP), Moderately Ambitious (65 SGP), or Ambitious (75 SGP) .
- Once you have set the goal options, select Apply .
- At the bottom of the page, you will see a table with all the selected students—each student's Scaled Score (from their most recent test) is shown, along with a calculated goal (based on the level you chose and the date you want the student to reach the goal by —students who have not taken a test yet will still have a calculated goal, but it will be based on a Scaled Score that a student in that grade would typically have at the start of a school year instead of an actual Scaled Score). The calculated goal is already entered in the Goal fields —you can keep these values or change them if you wish.
If the goal level is below the Scaled Score from the student's latest test, a Below latest test message will appear in the Goal column, indicating that a higher goal needs to be set for that student.
Students who already have a Math Spanish - Scaled Score Unified goal set for a time period that overlaps this one will appear in bold in this table, with an asterisk following their names, and a separate table below will list the overlapping goals for those students.
You can still set new goals for these students, or, if you prefer, you can go back and edit or delete the existing goals on the Goals & Benchmarks page. If you don't want to set new goals for these students or change the existing ones, choose Change Selection at the top of the page and deselect the students who have overlapping goals.
- Once you have set Scaled Score goals for all the students, select Save Goals (or select Cancel to leave this page without saving these goals).